Theo Maras AM, OLJ, Chairman
- 0411 505 100
Theo is the founder and Chairman of Maras Group, formed (in July 2006) following a separation from the Mancorp Group, a very well-known and respected property investment and development group which commenced business in 1980. Theo, who represented one half of Mancorp, has been instrumental in shaping development in South Australia since the early 1980’s.
Theo’s expertise is exceptionally broad and varied. His main skills rest in design and construction but he is also highly accomplished in issues relating to planning, leasing and management. He has been personally involved in every development undertaken over the last four decades or so, both for Mancorp and Maras Group.
Importantly, Theo has successfully managed to entice and secure some big name operators, and others, previously not seen in the South Australian market place.
Theo is a genuine leader in the South Australian property market and community at large, and this is further supported by his extensive participation and involvement in the following:
- Chairperson, The Foundation Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Chairperson, Heritage Foundation, The University of Adelaide
- Board Member, Development Strategy & Policy Committee, City of Unley
- Founding Member, The Foundation for Hellenic Studies
- Foundation Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Royal Australian Institute of Construction
In addition, and over many years, Theo has also served on a number of other Boards and Committees including:
- Immediate Past Chairperson, Rundle Mall Management Authority
- Past Board Member, South Australian Government Expert Panel on Planning Reform
- Past President, Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia Inc.
- Past President, Ridleyton Greek Home for the Aged
- Past President, Federation of Greek Orthodox Communities of Australia
- Past Chairperson, Common Ground
- Past Chairperson, Unley Business & Economic Development Committee, City of Unley
- Past National Member & State Coordinator, World Council of Hellenes Abroad (S.A.E.)
- Past Board Member, The Foundation for Hellenic Studies
- Past Board Member, Helpmann Academy Foundation Board, Helpmann Academy
- Past Board Member, State Library of South Australia Foundation
- Past Board Member, Urban Renewal Authority
- Past Board Member, Land Management Corporation
- Past Board Member, South Australian Affordable Housing Trust Board
- Past Board Member, South Australian Urban Land Trust
- Past Member, Norwood Economic Development Board, City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters
- Past Member, South Australian Development Assessment Commission
- Past Member, State Planning Commission
- Past Member, Joint Industry Committee on Planning
Theo has received numerous honours, awards and accolades over many years including:
- Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
- Officer of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem (OLJ)
- Justice of the Peace (JP)
- Honoris Causa in Recognition of Contribution to Hellenism in Australia, The Embassy of Greece in Australia, conferred June 2015
- University Fellow, University of South Australia (FUniSA), conferred 2015
- Winner 2014 Great Entrepreneur Brand ICON Leadership Award, The BrandLaureate – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Winner 2014 Silver Award, Chairman of the Year, The International Business Awards – Paris, France
- Inducted 2013 Inaugural ‘Property Icon’, Property Council of Australia (SA Division)
- Inducted 2013 Inaugural ‘Property Leader’ and Honorary Fellow, Australian Property Institute (SA Division)
- Winner 2013 Outstanding Individual Contribution Award, East End Adelaide Association Inaugural Awards
- Winner 2013 Outstanding Service Award, Business & Economic Development Committee, City of Unley
Outside of Maras Group, Theo continues to make a hefty contribution to the community at large and his involvement in the organisations and positions held, as listed above, is testament to his desire to give back to the community.
Theo’s passion for development is stronger than ever and he is unequivocally committed to bigger and better developments going forward.